Sunday, January 14, 2024

Chance is the New Direction

January 2024 - Back to puzzling, but in a new direction. I will revisit the faces (my pandemic period), but for now I will be playing with this idea of chance in art and creation, puzzling about if you will. Lots of puzzling, lots of colors, lots of different quotes, all jumbled up in many ways. I have serious thoughts and ideas how chance can play a central role. Working on ideas of how 'accidents' can be brought forth, judged, and used for more interesting developments in design. 

The puzzle, in extreme close-up. I like the mix of textures and colors, and playing with my new alcohol markers. 


Two versions of the whole puzzle that do not exactly match the detail. The point being the interchangeability of the pieces.

One version of puzzle.


So, these are the same pieces alternated.  Same general effect, but different mix of pieces. No pieces predetermined in terms of what location and what next to what. The only decisions being the general choice of a range of colors, and the idea of differing patterns. What's design and what's accident? You tell me.

The Process


With the scanned blank puzzle lines in the background, I set text to fit in the space. The font used based on my own handwriting. The text is printed out and then traced onto a blank puzzle, specifically the back side, where the texture is a bit more of a matte surface. 

Letters drawn in with sharpie. Not the ideal marker to use, but I'm still playing with different tools for this. Notice that one is in purple and the other  blue. This is the only differentiation between the 2 puzzles.

The coloring in done to individual pieces, not knowing where they will be in the puzzle. 

Pieces all done, before assembly.


The two puzzles finished showing one text side and one image side, with the blue text mixed in with blue text line. Look up close to see the few mixed up pieces. I'm no mathematics person, so I have no idea how many versions could be made, but many.

The details are my favorite.


The Inspiration

A variation of a line in a favorite art documentary.

Faces Places 



Highest recommendation if you've never seen it. Nice art, nice people.


No comments:

Post a Comment